Keeping family gatherings calm and relaxing.
1. Avoid controversial topics and intense conversations - This is “break time” for everyone. Keep it light and airy.
2. Make it your intention to be good company yourself. Focus on being pleasant, positive, and cordial
3. Really listen to others when they talk. Stats show that 80% of people are not good listeners. As most people listen they are already thinking about what they want to add to the conversation.
4. When you let others have the floor and let them shine, you will shine in everyone’s eyes.
5. Don’t over drink. The possibility of saying things that are better left unsaid increases with each alcoholic beverage.
6. Pay attention to people’s body language and verbal cues. If their feet are pointing away from you, it’s time to wrap it up.
7. Conquer awkward moments by asking a general question of the group or person to get things going again.
8. Designate all dinners and parties as a “no complaining zone”.
9. Make it a personal rule not to correct anyone. It’s better to be kind than right.
10. Don’t be a “one upper” or play “topper”. Be conscious of “topping” the last person’s story with your own. It’s one of the few games where the winner looks like a loser.
11. Never put anyone on the spot or throw them under the bus.
12. No one likes a “know it all”. Always be flexible and allow all perspectives to be possibilities. You don’t have to agree, just let it be.
13. If someone takes things down a negative road don’t allow it to escalate. Graciously change the subject or distract attention to something else.
14. Set out to make others comfortable, you will always increase your own comfort level by doing so.
15. Don’t take yourself or anyone else too seriously. Learn to let things roll off your back. Our reaction is always our choice.
Remember: “When you understand that what most people really, really want is simply to feel good about themselves, and when you realize that with just a few well-chosen words you can help virtually anyone on the planet instantly achieve this, you begin to realize just how simple life is, how powerful you are, and that love is the key.” TUT.com
Happy Mothers Day and Happy Conversations! - Patricia Stark
This Week’s Calmfidence® CalmTail:
This easy alcohol-free drink option is perfect for any Mom looking for Calm without the buzz.
- 2 oz. Pineapple Juice
- 2 oz. Orange juice
- 2 oz. Ginger ale
- 4 oz. Chamomile Lavender Tea
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- Boil water and steep tea for 5 minutes. Stir in honey while hot, let cool.
- Pour pineapple juice into a shaker, add the orange juice and mix together.
- Add Ginger Ale, and cool tea. – Pour into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with your favorite edible flowers, or a pineapple slice.