Who knew that cherries (both tart & sweet or fresh & dried) are one of the only natural food sources of melatonin, the chemical that controls the body’s internal clock to regulate sleep? The release of this hormone gives our nervous system a calming effect. Adding this flavorful fruit into our diet can help decrease our irritability, help soothe tension, and even fight insomnia and establish regular sleep patterns.
Researchers who tested tart cherries and found high levels of melatonin recommend eating them an hour before bedtime to sleep better. But that’s not all. Cherries are bursting with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory benefits and essential vitamins & minerals such as Vitamins C & A, fiber, iron, calcium and potassium. Cherries have been deemed a superfood – and for good reason.
You don’t just need to ‘put a cherry on top!’ Here are some easy (and delicious) ways to stock these little nutritional suckers into your kitchen to help increase your Calmfidence®:
- A refreshing bowl of fresh, sweet cherries (in season from May to August)
- Blend frozen cherries into a smoothie or shake
- Top your salad with preservative-free dried cherries
- Add 100% tart cherry juice to sparkling water (or drink it straight-up!)
- Sip a warm mug of cherry-infused herbal tea
- Munch on some trail mix containing dried, tart cherries, complete with other Calmfidence® Chews such as nuts, seeds & even some dark chocolate chips!
As with anything – enjoy in moderation.
About The Author
Patricia Stark works on both sides of the camera & stage as a Media Trainer, Public Speaking Trainer, and Certified Body Language Specialist. She appears regularly as a Guest TV Communication Expert & Lifestyle Expert and sought after keynote speaker. To book an engagement with Patricia contact us here.