It’s no joke…laughter really is the best medicine!
Studies have proven that having a good chuckle or belly laugh helps to reduce anxiety, combats stress, and melt worries away. The physical act of LOL’ing helps to relax the whole body and give a general sense of overall well-being. As we giggle, endorphins (our body’s feel good chemicals) rush through the body. Laughing decreases those wretched stress hormones that so often creep up. As we lower our stress, our immunity increases. That’s a win-win, especially during flu season!
But how can you find laughter in situations that are no laughing matter? Plan for moments of comic relief!
- Bookmark YouTube videos of your favorite comedians or stand up routines.
- Download comedy Apps to keep on your phone.
- Share GIFs or memes with a friend every day.
- Stream Netflix & Hulu for comedy specials or your favorite sit com.
- Call or hang out with someone who’s a hoot.
- Play with a furry friend or a young child.
- Have a go-to podcast, audio book or good ole’ fashioned jokes book on hand.
- Plan to laugh more – no matter the situation. Incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Have a few friends over for a game night – guaranteed laughter.
- Give yourself permission to be silly…laugh at yourself!
Just like listening to your favorite music to get you in a good mood, find something hysterical to do, read or watch, right before a stressful situation or during moments of nerves and anxiety. This’ll give you the distraction you need to take the edge off so you can lighten up with Calmfidence® to deal with what’s in front of you.
So go ahead and crack yourself up…it’ll only put you in a better mood and boost your Calmfidence®!
About The Author
Patricia Stark works on both sides of the camera & stage as a Media Trainer, Public Speaking Trainer, and Certified Body Language Specialist. She appears regularly as a Guest TV Communication Expert & Lifestyle Expert and sought after keynote speaker. To book an engagement with Patricia contact us here.