Drink your stress away. No, it’s not what you think.
We all know that water is essential to life – but why is it that most of us don’t drink enough of it?
Water is what our bodies need (and crave!) to combat stress. Better yet, to prevent it. Dehydration wears us down even before we feel thirsty. Studies have shown that cortisol – the stress hormone – rises rapidly when we’re dehydrated. Who wants that to happen?
We can’t be sharp, quick on our feet, energized, motivated or exude Calmfidence® if we’re sluggish. Staying hydrated is such an easy and accessible task…but so easily ignored – especially during the winter months. The goal is to try and drink half your body weight in ounces. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, aim to drink *at least* 75 ounces of water a day. The more the merrier!
Tips on how to stay hydrated to increase your Calmfidence®:
- Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink – by then you’re already dehydrated!
- Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go.
- Invest in a bigger water bottle – less refilling but more H2O!
- Keep a glass of water on your end table and drink it once you get out of bed. (Drinking a full glass of water as soon as you awake helps keep you trim!)
- Jazz it up by adding lemon, mint, etc.
- Always ask for a glass of water when you’re out at a restaurant.
- Keep track of how much you’re drinking. You can do this right in the ‘notes’ section of your smart phone (pen to paper works too!). It’ll help you stay conscious of how much water you’re drinking throughout the day.
- Check the color of your urine…yep, we went there. It’s another excellent way our body tells us if we’ve had enough water. Clear = hydrated.
- Getting your sweat on? Don’t forget to replenish all that water lost.
- Snack on fruits like oranges & watermelon.
- Keep in mind that caffeinated & sugary drinks (and alcohol) dehydrate us. Limit consumption.
Worried about running to the bathroom drinking all this extra water? It only takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to this new level of hydration and you’ll find you won’t be running to the restroom as frequently once your body gets into the hydration habit!
So, keep refilling your cup. If you want to feel great, look great, and be great you’ve got to hydrate!
Cheers to Calmfidence®!
About The Author
Patricia Stark works on both sides of the camera & stage as a Media Trainer, Public Speaking Trainer, and Certified Body Language Specialist. She appears regularly as a Guest TV Communication Expert & Lifestyle Expert and sought after keynote speaker. To book an engagement with Patricia contact us here.